Nickalls K. Watching out for warmer weather. Vet Nurs. 2023; 14:(4)

Travelling abroad with pets

02 July 2023
2 mins read
Volume 14 · Issue 6

As summer continues, many clients will want to travel abroad with their pets. But how many are aware of the changes to travelling to and from Great Britain post-Brexit? And is travel always in a pet's best interests?

Most clients travelling with pets will be going to EU countries. Pet passports issued in England, Wales and Scotland are no longer valid, and now when travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland, dogs, cats and ferrets need an animal health certificate. Crucially for clients, the animal health certificate must be issued in the 10 days before entering an EU country – something that may catch many out, particularly if they have not realised the need to book an appointment in advance. Pets need a new animal health certificate for each trip to an EU country or Northern Ireland, making frequent travel much more expensive than it was before Brexit. Travelling outside the EU requires an export health certificate.

Register now to continue reading

Thank you for visiting The Veterinary Nurse and reading some of our peer-reviewed content for veterinary professionals. To continue reading this article, please register today.