Mushroom poisoning

Nicola Bates
Sunday, October 2, 2016

Mushrooms or toadstools are the fruit bodies of fungi and there are many different species. Identification is difficult without specialised knowledge. The toxic compounds in fungi can affect the gastrointestinal, neurological, renal and hepatic systems. The information required for identification of specimens and the different clinical syndromes that can occur after ingestion of toxic fungi are described. In animals that have ingested a mushroom identification should always be attempted since this may reassure the owner and prevent unnecessary treatment or allow a full assessment of the potential risks and appropriate treatment.

Mushroom poisoning
Mushroom poisoning

Subscribe to get full access to The Veterinary Nurse

Thank you for vising The Veterinary nurse and reading our archive of expert clinical content. If you would like to read more from the leading peer-reviewed journal for veterinary nurses, you can start your subscription today for just £26.

Subscribing will enable you to:

  • Stay up-to-date with current thinking and best practice in veterinary medicine
  • Enhance your knowledge and understanding of all key clinical topics
  • Achieve the mandatory requirement of 45 hours' documented CPD over a three-year period
Subscribe now

Already registered? - Sign in here

Download Now

Keep up to date with The Veterinary Nurse!

Sign up to The Veterinary Nurse's regular newsletters and keep up-to-date with the very latest clinical research and CPD we publish each month.