Xylitol toxicosis in dogs

Nicola Bates
Saturday, June 2, 2018

Xylitol is a commonly available sugar substitute found in sugar-free chewing gums and as an excipient in some medicines. It is used for its benefits on oral hygiene and its low-calorie content. It is also found in some peanut butters, ice creams and toothpastes, and can be used as a sugar substitute in baking. Xylitol causes hypoglycaemia (due to stimulation of insulin release) and liver failure in dogs, but not in cats, rabbits or rodents. The hypoglycaemia may be rapid in onset but can be delayed if xylitol-containing chewing gum has been ingested. Management of dogs that have ingested xylitol includes gut decontamination, monitoring, correction of hypoglycaemia and liver protectants. Prognosis is good in most cases and death from profound, uncontrolled hypoglycaemia or liver failure is not common.

Xylitol toxicosis in dogs
Xylitol toxicosis in dogs

Subscribe to get full access to The Veterinary Nurse

Thank you for vising The Veterinary nurse and reading our archive of expert clinical content. If you would like to read more from the leading peer-reviewed journal for veterinary nurses, you can start your subscription today for just £26.

Subscribing will enable you to:

  • Stay up-to-date with current thinking and best practice in veterinary medicine
  • Enhance your knowledge and understanding of all key clinical topics
  • Achieve the mandatory requirement of 45 hours' documented CPD over a three-year period
Subscribe now

Already registered? - Sign in here

Download Now

Keep up to date with The Veterinary Nurse!

Sign up to The Veterinary Nurse's regular newsletters and keep up-to-date with the very latest clinical research and CPD we publish each month.